Wyrd Con Companion Book 2014
Call for Papers: The Wyrd Con Companion Book 2014
The Wyrd Con Interactive Storytelling Convention invites papers for December 2014 publication. Like last year, the Wyrd Con Companion Book will feature two sections of articles: journalistic and academic. Articles on any form of Interactive Storytelling are welcome, including, but not limited to, the following: larp, transmedia, tabletop, alternate reality/pervasive games, virtual role-playing, etc.
We invite articles on all topics pertaining to Interactive Storytelling. The editors are especially interested in the following:
* Documentation of games or projects, past and present
* Historical perspectives on various subcultural groups, including campaigns, conventions, forums, and local “scenes” of all sorts
* Historical perspectives on various theories and discourses
* Educational, business, and other “real world” applications
* Contextualizing various forms of storytelling and subcultures with relation to one another
* Theoretical ruminations
* Discussion of mainstream representations, including news media, films, reality television, and documentaries
* Current subculture discourses, debates, and tensions
* Practical advice columns
* Editorial pontifications on current topics
Please follow Chicago Style for the citations and formatting of academic submissions. Abstracts for the Academic Section should feature a Bibliography with a minimum of 3 scholarly sources. All academic papers should feature thorough, extensive citations by reputable sources in Role-playing Studies or other appropriate fields. The editors will invite experts in the field for double-blind peer review of academic articles.
The timeline for the WyrdCon Companion Book is as follows:
Abstract Submission deadline: April 30
Acceptance notification: May 14
Full paper deadline (5000 words, not including Bibliography): June 30
Review comments returned to authors: July 31
Final drafts due: October 1
Projected publication date: December 1
Please send 500-word abstracts by April 30 to the editor, Sarah Lynne Bowman: wyrdcon-book (at) hotmail.com
See the Companion Book Style Guide. The editor may provide more extensive submission guidelines after acceptance notification. Feel free to email with additional inquiries throughout the process.